Search...

Thursday, December 2, 2021

Semver

 I'm a huge fan of semver 2. https://semver.org/ - it just makes sense. I've been in organizations using every possible versioning method. From date with build sequence for the day to an incremented integer to real-life semver.

Semver is -

MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH

I usually add

MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH.buildnumber for that semver number.

As stated on the semver site:

  1. MAJOR version when you make incompatible API changes,
  2. MINOR version when you add functionality in a backwards-compatible manner, and
  3. PATCH version when you make backwards-compatible bug fixes.

If you use consistent version control methods you can mostly automate incrementing these numbers. Maybe someday I'll add some AVA scripts that do this in Azure Devops and I should probably explore doing the same in AWS.

Sounds like a fun project to take on soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment